Pulmonary rehabilitation assists persons with pulmonary disease lessen their symptoms by making healthy lifestyle changes and return to a more active lifestyle. It also provides education and support to manage living with chronic lung disease. Chronic lung disease may include emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma.
Pulmonary Rehab meets two times a week for 6-12 weeks. If you meet certain medical criteria, some of the cost of the program is covered by Medicare and many private insurance carriers will also cover some of the cost.
Education is a very important part of the Pulmonary Rehab program. Educational topics include:
- Breathing retraining and paced walking
- Lung diseases
- Safe exercise
- Keeping your lungs clean and healthy
- Conserving energy
- Eat to feel better
- Managing stress
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility is based upon the following:
- A diagnosis of moderate to severe pulmonary disease.
- The results of your pulmonary function test shows the severity of your disease and the results are no older than one year.
- A non-smoker or participating in a smoking cessation program.
To ensure success, you must be motivated to participate and you must continue to use all that you will learn even after your rehab sessions have been completed.
Call Loring Hospital's Pulmonary Therapy Department today for more information, 712-662-6355 or 712-662-7105.